Population and Exit & Entry Administration Division.
Notice: For the safety of yourself and your property, you are suggested to take the following precautions.
1. Secure property and important documents; do not show your money or property in public.
2. When you go outside, take safe transportation vehicles as taxis or vehicles provided by hotels, companies or friends; take care of your property when you walk on the street or take a motor cycle.
3. Do not take part in illegal activities such as pornography, gambling and drug abuse so as to avoid being kidnapped or robbed.
4. Do not make illegitimate exchange of foreign currency so as to prevent your money from being substituted or even robbed.
5. In case of emergency, call 110 to seek help from the police.
Law Information For Foreigners In China
(A) Upon Arrival In China
Upon arrival to a destination within China, foreigners should complete registration procedures pursuant to the relevant provisions:
1. Those that stay at hotels should present valid passport or residence certificates and complete lodging registration procedure.
2. A foreign national who stays at a place other than a hotel, the host or the foreign national him/herself should go through lodging registration procedure with the local police station within 24 hours of the lodger’s arrival.
(B) Residence Permit
If your visa is marked to transfer to residence certificate after entering, you should go through the formalities to obtain your residence certificate at the exit & entry administration department under the public security bureau of the city where you are to reside within 30 days of entry.
(C) Visa Extension
You may stay in China within the valid period of the visa. If you want to extend your authorized period of stay, you should submit an application and related materials according to the requirements of the application reasons, to the exit & entry administration division of the local public bureau, 7 days before the duration of stay in the visa expiry date. To extend the visa period of stay, accumulative total must not exceed beyond the original period annotated in the visa.
(D) Work Permit
Aliens working in China should acquire work permit and residence permit for working. Those who have not acquired residence permit for working or who are on a study program in China should not be employed in China without permission of the appropriate authorities of the Chinese Government.
Foreign nationals at the age of 16 or over who reside or stay in China should carry their passports or residence certification with them for possible examination by the police.
(F) Abide by Chinese laws
The Chinese Government protects the legal rights and interests of foreign nationals in China. Foreign nationals in China should abide by Chinese laws, and any violators are subject to penalty and punishment.
(G) Chinese Visa Application Rules
For entry to China, aliens should apply for visas to Chinese diplomatic missions. In applying for visas, aliens should present valid passports or replacement certificates and submit for examination papers supporting the application. Aliens coming under the following categories should not be allowed to enter China:
1. An Alien who may harm China’s national security and interests, disrupt public order or engage in other activities of illegal crime.
2. An Alien who do not have valid passport, Chinese visas and certificates, refuse or avoid border check posts examination.
3. An alien suffering from mental disorder, contagious tuberculosis or other infectious diseases may cause great harm to the public.
4. An Alien who applied visa with fraud information or cannot guarantee his/her own expenses during stay in China.
5. An alien who may conduct different activities to his/her Chinese visa type of visit to China. Visa granting department have the right to refuse a visa without explanation.
(H) Illegal Entry
Aliens who illegally enter China may be fined from 1,000 to 5,000 Yuan and those whose offences are serious may be detained from 5 to 10 days and may simultaneously be fined from 2,000 to 10,000 Yuan. Those who help aliens to illegally enter China may be fined 2,000 to 10,000 Yuan, and those whose offences are serious may be detained from 10 to 15 days and may simultaneously be fined from 5,000 to 20,000 Yuan, illegal gains will be confiscated.
(I) Illegal Stay
Aliens who illegally stay in China may be fined 500 Yuan per day for the period of his/her illegal stay in China with with the total sum of fine not exceeding 1,000 Yuan or detained 5 to 15 days.
(J) No Working Permit
Aliens who illegally work in China may be fined 5000 Yuan with the total sum not exceeding 20,000 Yuan. Those whose offenses are serious will be detained from 5 to 15 days and be fined 5,000 Yuan with the total sum of fine not exceeding 20,000 Yuan at the same time. For arranging aliens illegally work in China may be fined 5,000 Yuan per person with the total sum of fine not exceeding 50,000 yuan. For company arranging aliens illegally work may be fined 5,000 Yuan per person with the total sum of fine not exceeding 100,0000 Yuan, illegal gains will be confiscated. For illegally hiring aliens may be fined 10,000 Yuan per person with the total sum of fine not exceeding 100,000 Yuan, illegal gains will be confiscated, and be ordered to cover all the expenses of repatriating the aliens who they had employed.
Aliens who illegally enter China, illegally work in China or illegally stay in China can be repatriated.
(L) Serious offenses
Aliens whose offences are serious enough to constitute a crime should be prosecuted for their criminal responsibility according to law.
(M) Missing Passport
In the event that the passports are lost or robbed, the holders should immediately report to the nearest police station and complete the relevant procedures at the exit & entry administration department with the ‘Case-Reporting Receipt’ issue by the local police station.